A residence full of tradition, yet relaxed and friendly
The Château of Saint Germain, in the centre of Saint Germain du Plain, has medieval foundations, the cellars of which have been preserved to this day. Legend even has it that there is a secret passage between the Château and the medieval tower still standing a few hundred metres outside the village. The current Château, its outbuildings and orangery, in Empire style, were built in 1830 by the De Verchère family, distinguished Beaune wine merchants. An 1848 makeover created its current skyline and ordered the planting of the stately trees which shade the luxuriant gardens today.
The Château played an active role within the community during the 20th century in the hands of this same family, with the last two surviving family members, the “Demoiselles De Verchère” sisters, in the 1970s.
After lying abandoned for almost twenty years, the residence was acquired in 1994 by Dominique Harris-Marcoux, of Geneva. Extensive restoration work was carried out and in 1997 the first guests were welcomed to its B&B accommodation. Since 2007, Robert Harris and Yuko Matsuoka Harris have taken up this restoration, hoping also to revive the Château’s traditional active role in the life of the locality.
To this end, the Château opens its doors several times a year to welcome the local population to various local events. With its former chapel transformed into an attractive guesthouse, the Château is now ready to welcome and accommodate members of the Phoenix Wine Club.
This is an undertaking well suited to Saint-Germain du Plain in its exceptional location on the southern edge of the Côte d’Or, close to Beaune and a few dozen kilometres from the two other great Burgundy wine areas: the Mâconnais and the Côte Chalonnaise.